Tuesday, April 24, 2012

What to do with shitty Casamiento










I ordered from this local El Salvadorian restaurant Sunday night, because I'm a new yorker and I can do that. Well, not only were they an hour late with the food, but everything was mad greasy and bland. If you've never had Casamiento before, it's a hearty rice and beans dish that's supposed to be flavorful and delicious- if done right. This was flat, uniform purple, no veggies thrown in, no spice. It was disgusting. Yet I hate wasting food, so I needed to somehow make this slop edible.

It was surprisingly easy. Pico de Gallo would have been a good option but I didn't have any, so I diced up about a half an onion, a half a red bell pepper, 3 gloves of garlic and about a cup of fresh cilantro. Cooking sprayed the pan, got it real hot. Sauteed the veggies with the leftover Casamiento until hot. Added about 2 Tbsp Franks Red Hot (love that sauce, I could put it on everything), 1/4 cup lime juice and the cilantro at the very last moment. Heat through another 30 seconds, mix well and voila! You got what Casamiento is supposed to be; bold, packed with hearty deliciousness and it will even have a decent kick. Add more sauce and even some jalapeño peppers if you want it mas picanté.

And if you live out somewhere in Carajoland without El Salvadorian restaurants, I suggest you try making Casamiento yourself. If I wasn't posting from my phone I would link you a few good recipies... but seriously, this isn't your first rodeo, I'm sure you know how to work Google all by yourself.

1 comment: